Saturday 27 October 2012

White as snow ...

Part of me longs for the crisp fall to linger... The colors that grace the trees high, the air that is fresh now that the farmers have finished filling it with the dust of their living, the bright morning skies that arrive just a little later so I can thoroughly enjoy them rather than dream of them...




All the while, deep down, I know there is nothing like the beautifully clean blanket that covers this hard, dirty, smelly land like the first real snow of the season.





Bradley and I love to drive... I have become good at my "drive by shootings". But isn't that just the paradigm... we drive to find a little bit of solace from the craziness of our lives and yet the highways loan themselves to be sped along.  

This time of year in particular, with the ice covered roads, we are forced to slow. And I am grateful for that. I don't absorb things quickly and easily as some others might. I have to look and feel and think things through from all angles before I am ready to move to the next image. This is not simply when I am looking through a lens but I tend to be this way in the way I work and carry out relationships and live my day to day life. Sometimes it drives my husband crazy. He is very goal orientated and so he knows where the finish line is and tends to bulldozes straight for it.  

We are learning... to take time to appreciate the beauty of each others differences. The simplicity that comes with one step at a time and maybe moving slightly faster or slower than we are comfortable with.




This season, I am thankful for. The reminder that no matter how hard things have been. No matter how much filth floats in the air from our own sins and the lies that surround my beloved and I. No matter how much pain  caused from the death that surrounds as life gets ready to surrender to the cold of this next season... 

There is beauty in this season. 

There is a sense of purity that comes with it. 

He washes white as snow and I am so grateful for this reminder. 

That He who loves us, loves us with an everlasting love. He does not hold us in a state of purgatory here on earth when we give over to addiction, pride and hurtful ways. He has given us the Holy Spirit to move and convict when need, Jesus Christ to cover us so we might be forgiven, and He chooses to extend grace and love us more than hate because of the sin we commit so that we can be in right relationship.

Yes, I love the fall... But there is nothing quite like the reminder of His pure love for us than the covering of the first snowfall. 




Psalm 51: 5 - 12

Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
 
Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
    you taught me wisdom in that secret place.

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
 
Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
 
Hide your face from my sins
    and blot out all my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
 
Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
 
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing musings from your heart...